1848-1890

 

The Beginning

The Orphanage as it looks today

On the 15th of February, 1848 two Irish men who had been trained for a short time by the Christian Brothers in Ireland arrived in Calcutta.

They were given a small house in the cathedral compound in Moorgihatta .
One of the men-Francis Fitzpatrick was put in charge of the school and orphanage in the Cathedral
The other-Alphonsus Tolan was given charge of the Free School  in Bow Bazaar