St. Aloysius, Howrah
In January, 1894 the Brothers opened a day school near Howrah station called St. Aloysius.
There were two Brothers and two pupil teachers and the attendance in 1899 was 72
However alterations in the church required incorporation of the school hall into the new structure.
Since it was found difficult to teach in rented accommodation, the Brothers left Howrah.
The Brothers go back to Kurji
In 1894 the Brothers returned to St. Michael’s Kurji to take over the school on the request of Bishop Hartman
One of the teachers in the school was a Capuchin third Order Brother who earlier had been a Calcutta Brother and left from Kurji.
One of the employees of the school joined the Brothers and died many years later in Kurji. His name was Br. Thomas Brown
Br. Edward Aherne(one of the original 4 Irish Brothers) was appointed the first Director but he died with in a month.
Br. Gilbert Cooney who had recently come from the Orphanage in Artane was appointed Director and was nicknamed “Lightning”
The school was handed over to the Jesuits in 1968
The New St. Joseph’s Bow Bazaar
In 1894 it was decided to build a large college, boarding and residence across Gopi Bose lane where a large property had been acquired. This building also housed a wing for the Provincial and from 1895 till 1980 this was the Head Quarters of the Indian Province.
The old St. Joseph’s building became a free school